Nothing screams confident more than a red lipstick. From Cleopatra and Queen Elizabeth to Rekha to Rihanna and Aishwarya Rai Bachan, the colour red has adorned each one’s lips and made a power statement of its own.
Replete with meaning and symbolism throughout history, the red lipstick has stood at the forefront of the women’s movement as a symbol of rebellion and independence. It wasn’t just a tool to enhance beauty, but also stood for power and hope. In fact, women wore red lipstick during world war II to keep up their spirits in times of suffering and pain.
The red lipstick was briefly superseded by nude make-up, only to make its way back soon with a bang. An essential in the beauty kit of the movers and shakers of the glam world, almost every fashionista has pulled off at least one iconic look in it.
Red is versatile. It’s a style statement and a complete look in itself. What’s more, And there is a red for everyone regardless of who you are.
Here are some tips to pull off that red pout perfectly:
- Know your undertone: To find the perfect red for yourself, it is imperative to know if you are warm or cool-toned. You can find that either on a trial and error basis or as French Youtuber Justine Leconte suggests, by simply keeping your wrist under the sun. If your veins are a purplish-blue, you’re cool-toned and if they are olive green, you’re warm-toned.
- Pick your shade: Once you know your undertone, go buy yourself a lipstick. This may take time to figure out but make sure you’re looking for cooler tones of red if you’re cool-toned and warm if you’re warm. Cool tones of red will be leaning towards blue or purple on the colour wheel and warm tones of red will be leaning towards orange.
- Matte or Glossy: You can choose a matte or a glossy red depending on your preference but make sure it suits you when you apply it. If you’re applying matte, moisturise your lips with some lip balm to prevent chapping.
- Make-up: Red is a show-stopper, it does not need much to accompany it. However, a light neutral make-up as the base will make your red pop more. And if you’re going out for the night, smoky eyes are the perfect partner to your red.
- Dress well: You want your face and body to be in harmony. Put on a lovely and comfortable outfit for a look that will make you stand out in a room full of beauty.
Now that you know how, go and paint the world red!