Umm Al Emarat Park shares with us some ways to help us be more sustainable in our everyday life!
In line with the UAE’s efforts for a sustainable community, the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE) is constantly working to move the country towards the path of sustainability. The UAE Government is focusing on achieving sustainable development goals and have also pledged to “leave no one behind” and to shift the world on to a sustainable and resilient path.
Umm Al Emarat Park, the green destination in the heart of Abu Dhabi, is an advocate and supporter of the sustainable efforts the UAE government work for. Built to serve Abu Dhabi’s locals, residents and visitors, the park has adopted an environmentally friendly approach in its operations.
Having established an Eco-friendly irrigation system, it contributes to reducing water consumption and provides plants with the right amount of water at the right time based on the outside temperature. The park also salvaged over 200 existing mature trees over 20 years old (some of which are among the oldest in Abu Dhabi) by uprooting them, storing them, and replanting them in their original locations throughout the park.
Further to this, Umm Al Emarat Park produces part of its fertilizer for plants and trees by recycling waste. It recycles about 30 tons of agricultural waste annually and converts it into fertilizers that cover about 70% of the park’s organic fertilizer needs.
Want to be more sustainable but not sure how, here are 10 easy ways that everyone can adapt to their habits.
- Hang your reusable grocery bags by the front door or keep them in the car so they’re ready for your next shopping trip and you won’t forget them.
- When purchasing appliances, consider going for high energy efficiency ratings.
- Switch out your lightbulbs for energy-efficient LED bulbs.
- Start a compost pile from all your organic food waste which can be used for all your gardening needs.
- Use the timer control on your AC so it is not running when it is not needed.
- Don’t throw out your old clothes, devices, or home appliances without checking if they can be reused or recycled.
- Switch to reusable water bottles or install a water filter on your water taps and eliminate the need for plastic.
- Grow your own herbs and vegetables to reduce the production pollution from store-bought items.
- Aim for zero waste during your food shop by buying items with packaging that can be reused or recycled.
- Pay attention to labels, and make sure you are choosing products that are ethically made and sustainable.
Umm Al Emarat Park is one of the largest and oldest parks in Abu Dhabi, yet have made efforts to keep up with the times when it comes to protecting the environment and being more sustainable. With a whole host of facilities and attractions, including the Shade House, Animal Barn, Amphitheatre, Great Lawn, Botanic Garden, Children’s Garden and Evening Garden, the Park welcomes guests to come and connect with nature at the largest green space in Abu Dhabi.